L to R--Caleb Boateng, Victor Park, Patrick Keller, Tad Carney, Warren Klein, David Beeson
(photo credit: Elizabeth Carney)
Brunswick Middle School Wins Sixth Squash National Championship
The Brunswick ‘A’ team won the 2018 U.S. Middle School Team Division I Championship, held at Yale University on Sunday. Collectively, David Beeson, Patrick Keller, Tad Carney, Warren Klein, Victor Park and Caleb Boateng dropped just a single game over the three-day tournament. The title is the sixth for Brunswick, as the Bruins won in 2017 and four straight from 2009-20012.
Brunswick sent a total of three teams to the 41-team championship. Besides the ‘A’ team, the Bruins’ ‘B’ team competed in the top division, finishing in seventh place. The ‘C’ team for Brunswick took 13th overall, also in the top division.
As the returning champion from 2017, the ‘A’ team, coached by Steve Polikoff, opened the tournament as the top seed. Following an opening round bye on Friday, the Bruins quickly moved through the Saturday quarterfinals and semifinals to reach title match on Sunday. In the quarters, Brunswick ‘A’ defeated BCWV from Pennsylvania, 5-0, and matched the 5-0 result in the semifinals against Bronxville ‘A’ later in the day.
Heading into the title match on Sunday, the Bruins had yet to drop a single game, while Haverford ‘A’ worked hard to battle past Greenwich CDS in the semifinals to reach the championship. Despite the 4-1 semifinal outcome in favor of Haverford, three of the five matches extended to the full five games.
In the championship, the Bruins swept all five matches, winning four individual matches without dropping a game.
Tournament Results for Brunswick ‘A’:
Championship (Brunswick 5, Haverford 0)
1. (Bru) David Beeson def. (H) Andrew Glaser, 11-5, 11-5, 11-8
2. (Bru) Patrick Keller def. (H) Grady Herbert, 11-6, 11-6, 11-8
3. (Bru) Tad Carney def. (H) Wills Burt, 11-3, 11-2, 11-5
4. (Bru) Caleb Boateng def. (H) Bo Page, 9-3, retired
5. (Bru) Warren Klein def. (H) Graeme Herbert, 9-11, 11-3, 11-8, 11-5
Semifinal (Brunswick 5, Bronxville 0)
1. (Bru) David Beeson def. (Brx) Molly Stoltz, 11-7, 11-1, 11-7
2. (Bru) Patrick Keller def. (Brx) Charlie Clifford, 11-2, 11-8, 11-4
3. (Bru) Tad Carney def. (Brx) Ronin Kaplan, 11-8, 11-8, 11-0
4. (Bru) Caleb Boateng def. (Brx) Peter Vorbach, 11-1, 1-0, retired
5. (Bru) Victor Park def. (Brx) Thomas Sheumack, 11-1, 11-1, 11-2
Quarterfinal (Brunswick 5, BCWV 0)
1. (Bru) David Beeson def. (BC) Justin Rosini, 11-5, 11-5, 11-2
2. (Bru) Patrick Keller def. (BC) Ethan Benstock, 11-7, 11-2, 11-2
3. (Bru) Tad Carney def. (BC) John Zhang, 11-1, 11-3, 11-2
4. (Bru) Warren Klein def. (BC) Andrew Choksi, 11-2,11-2,11-0
5. (Bru) Victor Park def. (BC) Holden Daggett, 11-2, 11-1, 11-1
For other details and results from the championship, click here.